Friday, March 5, 2010

Mundane

This morning I was reading in my get geared up to create book "The Creative Habit" by Twyla Tharp. She is a choreographer in New York and has great things to say about how not to be afraid of the blank slate. Today I read this:

"We want our artist to take the mundane materials of our lives, run it through their imaginations and surprise us."

I am sure she was thinking more than just actual physical materials, but when she said this, this bird art popped into my head. I have posted these pictures before on Facebook, but they deserve to be posted again here. Talk about the Mundane surprising me. This big guy can currently be found at the Anthropologie at North Park and he is amazing. Mostly composed of newspaper with a rubber pot holder for a beak. These things are as mundane as they come. I would put this guy in my house behind the blue couch of awesome (which incidentally is gray) but he would probably be a bit to big and freak out my friend who is not super fond of birds.

2 comments:

Ashley said...

He's not so scary so I could probably handle him. Although Henry and Inde might be a little afraid!

wren said...

They would probably either be using it as a scratching post, or sleeping on it like they do on the red bull hippo....